Approaching a Non-Monogamous Person's Significant Other

Q: When you're interested in someone else's significant otther, do you approach that person to express your interest out of respect, or do you think it's the place of the person in whom you are interested, to do so?


Normally, I try not to play with couples recreationally because I am a Dom and Polygynous, so its not really my thing but I do have a little experience in this area. That being said, I think one off the weirdest conundrums of the neo-non-monogamous world is whether or not you should speak to the persons significant other first, or is that over-stepping?

I honestly feel that you should make your intentions known to the person in whom you are interested and ask them what the protocol is for their relationship. And if the day comes when you should or need to talk to their significant other before you begin any form of dynamic, then that's what you do.  If they say they have complete and utter autonomy then you can proceed with out speaking to their SO. 

But in other cases I have had other men that I knew approach my SO or even people in my poly family without even speaking to me first.  And to me that's disrespectful. 

Personally, I like for people I know to approach me about trying to date people I am involved with before starting anything to my partner, but if I don't know you, then she should ask my partner about our protocol.

I hope that helps. O

Popular Posts