When we speak of submission, in it's  purest form, we have to differentiate between what it is supposed to be as opposed to what it has become. For it's the devolution of this superior state of mind and being that leads to suffering.

When submission is devoid of ego and arrogance. When it's not subject to cultural conditioning or the inherent biases acquired through maturation. We see that submission is not one emotion. It's a state of mind and state of being that is equal parts love, longing, devotion and vulnerability. These overwhelming emotions  coalesce into the firey passion that drives the submissive past the point of mere affection and into a way of living that is selfless yet self-sufficient. And this only happens when the submissive completely and totally accepts the "self" and not its reflection. This one thing makes everything possible.

Once there is acceptance of self, in its totality, the burdens of being both the lover and the loathed. The devout and the divorced. The vulnerable and the inaccessible.... all melt away. The submissive beggins to see their self as they are and not as they or others feel they should be. In this way, they step out of the cycle of pain that comes from living up to false ideals of identity and ( or ) forced conformity.

Suffering also happens when the submissive resists the duality of submission. When they can't see that pleasure can only exist if it is contrasted by pain. And that desire doesn't exist without longing. The submissive becomes blind to the realities of their own nature if they only exist within a matrix of fantasies that are intended to only inhance their sex or sexuality and not their heart, mind and soul. The submissive has to step out of the egoisms that surround the fantasy of what it means to be a submissive and live richly and fully with in it.

One of my favorite examples of submission that is devoid of ego and self-centeredness  is a poem that was written by the Suffi philosopher and mystic Rumi that goes;

" A lover asked his beloved, Do you love yourself more than you love me?
Beloved replied, I have died to myself and I live for you.
I've disappeared from myself and my attributes, I am present only for you.
I've forgotten all my learnings,
but from knowing you I've become a scholar.
I've lost all my strength, but from your power I am able.
I love myself...I love you.
I love you...I love myself. "

What is so powerful about this is the acceptance of ones position as  the devotee. The beloved is comfortable with being and becoming whatever it is that their love needs when they need it. They draw power and inspiration from their lover. And they recognize that it is this union between lover and beloved that makes all things possible.

It is my sincere desire that we all find a way of creating a mutual connection that empowers, enhances and embraces our nature. For nature is the most powerful force on the planet.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic.

Popular Posts