Enso: Broken Cup

A young Dom and an Old Master sat down to drink coffee one day. As the young Dom began to pour coffee into the Old Master's cup, the young Dom said, “Not too long ago, my little one left me and my house to begin a new relationship with someone else. Since then," he continued, "she has had a desire to return to me. What should I do?” The young Dom paused for a second then asked the old master. “Should I allow her to come back to me?”

The Old Master slowly sat back in his chair and thought long and hard about the young Dom’s dilemma. Finally, after a few minutes, the Old Master said to the young Dom, “See this coffee cup… I've had it for almost a decade and I know it's silly, but it’s one of my favorite coffee cups.

Not too long ago, someone took my favorite coffee cup from my house and needless to say, I was a little angry. For a while I tried to convince myself that I wouldn't take it back… But that was just my pride talking. Once I calmed down, I realized that, although the cup was no longer in my home that didn't mean that I didn't still own it or want it. It just meant that it wasn't currently in my possession.” The old Master said, pausing to take a sip. “When the cup finally came back to me, it wasn't the same… it was chipped in a few places and the handle had broken off. And it was at that moment that I had to make a decision to either take it back or let it go. While neither decision would have been wrong… I had to remove my pride from the situation and ask myself two difficult questions…”


1.) Do I want to take the time to mend it?
2.) Do I believe that it will be able to serve me as it did before?

The Old Master smiled a little as he sat the cup down on to the table gesturing to it proudly. “As you can see…  I kept the old thing and after all this time it has served me well. And, while I don’t like it in the same way that I did before… I do like it and that's all that matters... So my advice to is: Remove your pride. Ask yourself the tough questions and let your heart make the final decision. 

O

Popular Posts