Have you ever been interested in erotic photography? What are your thoughts about it and what's your experiences if any?

When I first got into the BDSM scene I was my mentor’s photographer. I followed him from one event to the next capturing all of his shenanigans, shows and performances. The thing that I got most from being a photographer in the LA Fetish/BDSM scene was something I call the Third Perspective. 

The Third Perspective means that I was able to see what the audience saw but both people (in the shenanigans, show or performance) acknowledged me. They included me which, for me, was more than a type of voyeurism. It really made me realize that there are three points of view in a scene: the dominant’s view, the sub’s view and the voyeur’s view. 

I know that many people play privately (so there is no third person) but when you think about it in the sense that our roles enhance how we see each other during the scene, each of us becomes that third perspective. Let me explain, the only difference between what happens in BDSM movies and what happens in most homes is that the people on camera are operating within a predetermined scenario so what they do and what they say all revolve around that scenario. So they often go deeper into a scene than most because they are in the right head space. Meaning they are literally in the moment, and why shouldn't they be? They have sets, wardrobe and equipment that helps them immerse themselves in their roles.


So when I scene, I know that how I dress, how I act and what I say adds to the voyeuristic pleasure of my partner and brings the fantasy to life. This heightens the pleasure of the scene and helps my scene partner/s find the mindset that they need to go deeper.

Lastly, creating a Third Perspective is important because it provides mutual context and ensures that both Dominant and submissive are on the same page. For example, if the sub is feeling fragile or vulnerable because of something that has recently happened or because she is accessing prior traumas then it might not be good for the dominant to live out a rape fantasy. Or, if the sub wants to be beaten within an inch of her life and the dominant just wants to do a tease and denial scene, then you might be a little off the point of being in the moment since you both have different ideas as to what the moment is. Just by doing, speaking, dressing and acting accordingly we can lose ourselves in the moment. And fall deeper down the rabbit hole and honestly isn't that what we all want?

Popular Posts