What do you think about Religious Play?




I was looking at some of the pictures from the religious shoot I did with Sybil Hawthorne and I was wondering why I love religious play so much. When I reflect on it, I think it was the taboo nature of it at first. The fact that what we were doing was sacrilegious and with in the confines of artificial sanctum we could do whatever we wanted. And to be honest with you... I was very scared to go there. But why?

Here is what I have arrived at thus far. When a person does a scene he or she has the parameters set forth by the dynamic they are in or the negotiation prior too. But when you step into the roll of a religious authority your power feels omnipotent and that is the part that terrifies me... yet it turns me on at the same time.

When I slip on the Jacket and collar I feel this instant and innate paradigm shift. I am wearing history and be it good or bad its powerful and seductive. To the masochist, I am the inquisition. To the feminist I am her oppressor. To the baby girl I am her... well you get the picture.

An when I play in this space I able to play with such righteous indignation (According to Christian doctrines, righteous indignation is considered the only form of anger which is not sinful ) that sadistic isn't even the right word for what I give myself permission to do. I love to envision myself as a 16th century pontiff preparing to hear there confessions and give penance. And the only way for them to find salvation is through prostration, pain and taking pleasure in pleasing me.

But the priest thing can go in the other direction as well. Many Dommes (Female dominants) deify themselves and offer there bodies to paying patrons that want to worship at the alter of the goddess incarnate. And they do. Many men bend, kneel, grovel and worship at there feet as their backs are ritually flagellated and there backside bruised and bloodied. And all in the name of the sacred feminine.

At its heart religious play is unique and powerful but in many ways its just an excuse for us to indulge our most primal selves. Its an excuse to push boundaries and fosters growth with the frame work of our individual dynamics.

The Marquis de Sade wrote “Your body is the church where Nature asks to be reverenced.” And at the heart of every D/s dynamic the religious frame work exists. The Dominant is authority and the bottom submits to this authority.


Popular Posts